This is currently only supported in Zero Install for Windows.
Zero Install Sync allows you to synchronize your list of applications, desktop integrations and command-line aliases between multiple machines. You either need a free 0install.de user account or you can use your own server.
- You download LibreOffice and KeePass on your first PC using Zero Install.
- Zero Install Sync tells your second computer which applications you installed.
- Your second computer downloads the same applications automatically.
The synchronization algorithm works as follows:
- Download existing application list from the server if present and decrypt it.
- Merge the data from the server into the local application list using a three-way merge.
- Apply any changes made to the application list to the desktop environment.
- Encrypt and upload the new application list.
- Store a copy of the application list locally for use as a baseline for the next merge.
All data is encrypted locally before transmission using AES-128. Therefore the server remains unaware of the actual data being synchronized.
The communication with the server is handled via a simple REST interface which is documented at https://0install.de/sync/.
If you want to run your own Sync server you have the following options:
- Use our PHP script on your web server.
- Use an empty directory on a WebDAV server.
- Use a Windows file share.
You can also use a directory on a local or network filesystem instead of an HTTP server. Simply specify a local or UNC path instead of a URL as the Sync Server in the configuration.
0install config sync_server \\SomeServer\0install-sync